Mac Air Keyboard Layout
May 02, 2008
The keyboard layout on the MacAir is a bit of a pain in the arse, mainly because of the absence of a convenient hash key. So I need to put together a custom keyboard layout to sort this out.
This is actually really easy to do ... once you know how to do it!
- download Ukelele
- mount/open the disk image (double click the .dmg file)
- open the british keyboard layout in the folder "System Keyboards/Roman" in the disk image
- system preferences|international
- choose Input Menu and select character palette (the first entry)
- in your menu bar click on the country flag and select show character palette.
- select punctuation and drag the # key over the § key on the keyboard
- save the layout as 'british-with-hash.layout' in "/Library/Keyboard\ Layouts"
- go back to "system preferences|international|input menu" and select your new "british-with-hash" layout
- use the menu bar to select your new layout
n.b. after saving the layout you may have to logout and in for the new layout to be recognised